Sunday, November 26, 2006

The concept

The concept of this blog is to explore seeing: how we see, what we see, and to learn how to see again. I find that I am so busy that I forget to look around me. I forget to notice the little things that truly make up my everyday world.

I am going to explore this as a photographer (my BFA degree is in photo), as a graphic designer (my MFA is in G.D.) and as an art professor (my current profession).

Some images may be serious and some may be tongue in cheek. Some may challenge our notion of what is beautiful. My goal is to explore seeing and seeing anew.



I saw this leaf as I was walking through the back yard. This leaf's beauty stood out. First I noticed the color. A bright red leaf on a bed of brown leaves. The leaf is ragged and torn, yet it is beautiful in its imperfections.

1 comment:

Steve Williams said...

This is a fascinating topic and I believe one of the first things to disappear in general as we leave childhood and is difficult to regain in the noisy chaotic culture we live in.

Learning to see requires patience and committment. I have an MFA if Art and would like to think that I learned to see again in school but that wasn't the case. I did learn that I was not seeing. Only through working did I begin to see.

In my own blog Scooter in the Sticks I often touch on seeing as one of the gifts of riding. When I purchased my Vespa is was solely as something fun. What I actually received was more extensive and unexpected. Riding can strip away many of the barriers to seeing the world.

One simple post dealing with this was Seeing More.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this concept.